Friday, November 15, 2013

"Marriage Isn't For You" & "A Response To: Marriage Isn't For You" + a video

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!!
As usual I am excited it's almost the weekend and even better my new schedule allows me to get off early on Friday so I am counting down the hours!
 
I had another post planned for today but I really wanted to share this instead.
I'm sure all of you or most of you have read the post "Marriage isn't for you" being shared all over Facebook and the Internet. It has had over 24 millions views, so if you haven't read it yet go read it. I liked this post and agreed with it for the most part. Now I'm not married obviously and probably won't be for another 2+ years but I do have my opinions on this. Matthew and I talked about this post and we both had different views on it at first. I agreed that when you get married you have to become totally selfless. After many classes and lessons at church and on retreats over relationships and marriage I have learned from people who are older than I am that you must become selfless.
Matthew's views on this were, yes you have to become selfless when you get married but you get married to make yourself happy too.  I can agree with that, obviously you aren't going to get married if you are unhappy with the person, or at least you shouldn't.
 
" You don’t marry to make yourself happy, you marry to make someone else happy. More than that, your marriage isn’t for yourself, you’re marrying for a family. Not just for the in-laws and all of that nonsense, but for your future children."
 
I would certainly hope that you don't marry someone just to have a family and for children.
Overall I think it was a great post with great intentions but I do agree with Matthew on his point about being happy yourself and he agreed on my point about being selfless.
 
So then I found this...
Here is another post that I loved. This man wrote "A Response To: Marriage Isn't For You"
I think his response to the article above is not only great but so true.
 
"Like the author claims, marriage is definitely not about making yourself happy, but it’s not always about making your spouse happy either. True love is focused on God, and that sometimes means making people unhappy in order to draw them closer to God. Marriage is not about making your spouse smile or laugh every day. Marriage is not about being nice, it’s about loving your spouse as God loves them.  Marriage is not only about making your spouse happy, it’s about making them holy."
 
The last sentence of that small passage from the post really made me think. One thing that I have always promised Matthew is that, I will always love God more than I love him.
AND then I saw this video last night and I felt like it definitely tied into this somewhat.
I love the part where Jase says "Do it God's way" so many people today are trying to do it their way, I am included and I am learning everyday to do it God's way.
I also loved where Missy says "they have a Godly agreement to help each other get to Heaven"
Is that not what Jeremy was saying in his response?
 
 


 
 These are just my opinions (and one of Matthew's) on all 3 of these and I really enjoyed reading/watching so if you have some down time today or this weekend read/watch these!
Have a wonderful weekend!! 
 
P.S. How original is the title of this post? Ya girl couldn't think of anything for it!! So sorry for the long title haha!
P.S.S. Friendsgiving is tonight! WOOP WOOP!!

3 comments:

  1. I love your thoughts on this and think you summed it up well too. The author made good points, and I know what he was getting at... but it's SO crucial we love our spouse like God loves them and loves us. God first is the only way marriage works ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I love that article & your opinions!! So true! I can't wait to see pictures of your Friendsgiving! I am sure you will have the cutest decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes a several is distressing living matrimonial and can't seem to co-exist without having ongoing harping and disagreeing. If they have children, they may worry about the impact on them of all the fighting.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!