Thursday, July 24, 2014

DIY Headboard

 
I have a to do list for my apartment about a mile long but one of the things on the top of that list was to make a headboard for my bed. I knew I was going to need my dad's help because 1.) he has all the wood at home in his shop and 2.) he can build anything if I show him a picture of it.
I've spent the past few months doing a little research here and there to find the style I like the best and when my family came to visit a little over a month ago I had my dad take measurements and showed him the one I liked best. Well, lo and behold last Thursday I got a text from daddy of this beautiful thing...
Here are the materials we used
  • Plywood
  • Fabric (enough to cover each edge of your plywood shape by about 4-5 inches
  • Foam
  • Quilting Batting
  • Spray Adhesive
  • Staple Gun (My favorite tool, ever)
  •  
    We started out with the foam. I bought mine at Hobby Lobby for $26 (used 40% off coupon) I'm sure you can find it online for a better price. If I would have known it cost that much I definitely would have done some research for a cheaper price but I waited until the day we made it to purchase it.
     
    To apply the foam we used adhesive spray, I don't remember how much this was because I already had it on hand. We sprayed the whole board with it and then laid the foam down quickly. We cut the remaining foam off.
     
    Next we applied the quilt batting. I bought this the day of at Hobby Lobby as well. It was $15 (used 40% off coupon) I bought the queen size just to make sure I had enough and had plenty and then some.
    We turned it over and left about 4-5 inches and stapled it down with a staple gun
     
     
    

    We cut the remaining off
     
    This area was pretty difficult. We had to tug and pull at the batting to get it as tight as we could to staple it without ripping a hole in it.
    

    Here is the back once we finished stapling the batting
     
    The front

    and side view
     
    Finally, it was time to add the fabric. I waited last minute on finding fabric (I see a trend here) but really lucked out on this because it was already 50% off at Hobby Lobby and matched perfectly.
    It was tricky at first because we had to make sure it was straight and then flip it over to staple (it didn't help we were making this on my tiny apartment deck lol)
     
    We stapled the fabric down but a lot of the staples weren't going all the way through so we used a hammer to help push them in.
     
     The most difficult part of the whole thing, again, were those small parts on each side of the arch. We cut slits into the fabric and pulled and pulled (carefully, so we didn't rip the fabric) There really aren't any specific instructions for that part other than to be careful! We probably spent about 30 minutes alone on that section.


    Here it is!
     


     I absolutely LOVE how it turned out.
     The fabric couldn't have matched more perfectly.
     
    If you have any question that I didn't cover just email me and I'd be happy to answer them! 
     

    5 comments:

    1. Girrrrrrrrrrl! SO CUTE!!! Yall did such a great job!!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow, that turned out so great! Jealous of your handy helper - because if I tried to do this I'm sure it would turn out all crooked. Amazing that you were able to do it for a pretty good price too. Headboards are expensive!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Love it!! I've always wanted to do this, yours turned out great!

      ReplyDelete
    4. This looks so good! I love the fabric you chose!

      ReplyDelete
    5. This looks awesome!!! Everyone's headboard tutorials look so overwhelming .. But you make me think hmmm maybe I could actually do that!! It looks AWESOME girl, way to go! :)

      ReplyDelete

    Your comments always make my day!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...