Thursday, January 7, 2016

GARBAGE DISPOSAL BOMBS

I am just full of stuff to share with y'all this week (read: I'm trying to clear my camera roll on my phone!) I have had these pictures on my phone for a few weeks and have been meaning on sharing this with y'all. 

I didn't grow up with a garbage disposal and my college apartment didn't have one so when I moved into our apartment after we got married I realized we had one and was super pumped. I probably use it everyday to every other day. I throw just about all of our scraps in there and then turn it on and just go on. Well soon after I realized it was leaving a bad odor. My MIL recommended throwing some sliced up lemons down there and that ice sharpens the blades. So I immediately thought of making making ice cubes with lemons in them...garbage disposal bombs! The lemons and vinegar are great cleaning products and the ice sharpens your garbage disposal blades. 

Here is what you'll need:
- 1-2 lemons
- Vinegar
- Ice tray (these were 2 for $1 at Wal-Mart!)
- Water


I fill each space half way with vinegar and then I usually add 3-4 pieces of lemon into the water. Once the lemons are in place I fill the rest of the way with water.


I put them in the freezer and leave them over night. 

The next day I'll take them out and put in a large freezer zip lock bag. I put them in a zip lock bag to avoid my whole freezer smelling like vinegar :)

and here is a closer look at them!

They are really easy to make and most of the stuff you already have on hand! I usually use 2-3 at a time depending on what just went into the garbage disposal. I always make sure I have these on hand when we are having a dinner party and I know there will be a lot of stuff to throw away after. Like back at Friendsgiving, after I cleaned up the kitchen and the dishes were put away I just threw 3 of these into the garbage disposal and turned it on. It left a nice lemon aroma in our kitchen and I didn't have to worry about any leftover foods stinking the place up! 

A few things:
- Instead of lemons you could also try oranges or limes. 
- I only use those ice trays for these.
- If the vinegar smell is too much for you, then you could just use water. 

5 comments:

  1. Love this idea! I will need to make these for our disposal!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! After not having a disposal in our first apartment together, I've gotten used to throwing our scraps in the trash. I really should make some of these and use them to keep things fresh and sharp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great idea! our garbage disposal starts to smell sometimes.. I've tried cleaning it with baking powder which works but I love the idea of having frozen lemons on hand! I think I will be making some of these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't pour grease, oil or fat into your cheap garbage disposal or drain. Grease will slowly gather and impede your rubbish disposal's grinding ability in addition to clog drains.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really it is a fantastic suggestion.Best Moen Garbage DisposalsGarbage disposal initial to aroma at times i feel i will be production of this month

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!