Tuesday, August 28, 2018

HOMEMADE FLAKY BISCUITS


The quickest way to get a big smile out of Matthew is for him to walk into the kitchen while I am making these biscuits. They are his FAVORITE. I can never make one batch of these because they are just so easy. I usually double or triple the recipe and put the extra in the freezer for a later time. The best part, the ingredients are things that can be found in my pantry at all times. 

Ingredients:

- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup COLD butter (12 Tbsp)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk


Directions:

Step one | Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Step two | Cut the butter up into small cubes on a small cutting board and then place it in the freezer for a few minutes until you need it. I am almost positive cold butter is the trick here. Most of the time the butter softens and melts even before the biscuits make it into the oven. 

Step three | Mix all the dry ingredients

Step four | Mix in the egg and milk

Step five | Get your butter out of the freezer. Using a pastry cutter (I don't have a pastry cutter, so I use two knives, works just as well!) cut in the butter. Just try to get most of the butter to a small pea-sized piece.

Step six | Turn the dough into a generously floured surface. You might need to sprinkle some extra flour here so that the dough doesn't stick to you. Knead the dough 15-20 times.

Step seven | Roll the dough out to whatever thickness you desire. Just remember the thicker you go the fewer amount of biscuits you will get, don't worry though, you can always double up your recipe! Sometimes I get 12 biscuits, sometimes I get 14 biscuits...it's all up to you. Using a biscuit cutter (I don't have a biscuit cutter, so I use a regular sized drinking glass, works just as well!) cut out your biscuits. 

Step eight | Place the biscuits on a greased baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet (my favorite) and bake for 10-15 minutes. Depending on how thick you make your biscuits, they might bake longer. When there are about 4 minutes left on your timer, brush melted butter over the top of all the biscuits, gives them that golden-buttery-melt-in-you-mouth extra touch. 




3 comments:

  1. Oh my, this post is making my mouth water! These look amazing! And sound pretty darn easy to make, too! I always thought biscuits were a bit intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious. I can't wait to try them next weekend! have a wonderful week! Tanya - The Other Side of the Road

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you deliver? These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments always make my day!